This. Is. It. The end. The finale. The moment when the world came crashing down to the sound of 170 miniature Roman (and auxiliary) painted boots/hooves/paws, for the army is FINISHED.
166 men, 15 horses, 3 bolt throwers and a dog are finished and ready to be thrown into battle. I’ll deal with some history and background for them in the future some time, so perhaps this isn’t the end (and I have been hankering after adding an elephant or two at some point), but for now here are a few pictures of the finished article. Their main opponents are expected to be some ghostly ancient Greeks, some less numerous Romano-Brits, and a spattering of Gauls.
Oddly for the first ever army that I have finished it has proven a bit of an anti-climax. I’m putting it down to two factors:
Firstly a lack of opponents – the Greeks (Red) are closest in terms of size, but not completed in terms of having arms an legs attached. The Romano-Brits (Aidan) are rarely seen and few in number, and the Gauls (Luke) are still on the painting table. There is also the Roman forces of Dave, in one piece at least although unpainted.
Secondly a feeling of worry regarding some of the warlord figures I’ve used. In particular the pilum’s and the metal standard bearers appear unbelievably fragile despite my purchase of a wealth of foam to hold them in place during travel, and I fully expect a number of un-repairable breakages.
Ah well, maybe I’ll get to use them one day now I’ve depressed myself. Pictures below.