Sunday 17 March 2024

Wars Of The Roses - Part 8 - Arrows & Iron Balls

First arrows.  Many, many arrows.  In the Never Mind The Billhooks rules the bow-armed units have a limit of 6 looses of an arrow each game.  It can be quite nasty, especially when you can loose twice in a turn, however, it's also can run out sharpish.  

To keep track of this sharpish situation a marker is recommended, and having looked at others suggestions and recommendations I settled upon the following effort; a round base with a dice slot/square on it, most of which have some arrows to show it is an arrow counter.  The effect is finished off by a mini 6 sided die, my colour of choice being green (not mint, just normal green).

The usual sand was added and brown spray used before painting the base the same as my other WOTR figures, and the arrows painted a suitable sandy and white combination followed by a strong tone wash and a bit of dry brushing to strengthen the colour again, nowt fancy.  A matt varnish over arrows and base finished it off.  I don't usually varnish a base, but there's so little to use to pick it up each time that I thought it worth doing.  They still need some flock but I'm saving that for a Big Flock Day along with other WOTR bits.

On to the iron balls, and it's my one piece of ordinance from the period.  I gradually worked on it to break up the monotony of many billmen.  I'd seen an example online of someone painting their piece green and liked it, I think mines come out OK. The crew I wasn't sure whether to go uniformed or all the colours of the rainbow.  In the end rainbow it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment