Saturday 30 March 2024

Big Green Men On Big Green Horses

Something I did a few months ago but didnt get round to writing about.....I was given a boxed set of crusader-esk knights for a birthday a while back (years, and years....), and didn't have an army to slot them in to. I decided they would make a decent addition to my Undead, and in the garage they stayed waiting for that day.

I've been looking for different things to make and paint recently and they jumped out at me.

I built them as per the plans, carefully making sure they ranked up into two lines (and then failed to mark them so I now can't remember exactly how they went....).

I had intended to paint them dark and brooding, but had a late idea of going all luminous green and ghostly. It would provide an unusual appearance and be completely different to paint. It would also be quicker than trying to paint all the horses tack etc because I intended to drybrush various shades of green so horses and riders looked the same.

An undercoat of brown was followed by a drybrush of white to make the green stand out. I went with a green speed paint, then a green wash (old GW orc flesh I think!), then 2-3 drybrushes of green, with a bit more white added in each time to gradually lighten the colour.  

I experimented with a gloss varnish hoping for a shiny ghostly effect, but it didn't work so replaced it was a matt varnish. I did try transfers for the first time since.....hmm. They went on ok despite their great age (GW men at arms transfers from circa 2006), but a number had a white residue around the edges. I'm not sure if that was due to the age, or the application.  

And done.  They even got some grass on the base and a few of Jessica's red flowers for colour, hopefully they don't look too happy and bright, they are supposed to be the baddies after all.....

No comments:

Post a Comment