Part 1 of my Wars of the Roses label came on the now long past date of the 10th October 2012. That is quite a while ago, and apart from a battle report and a mention or two of how I was going to think about painting some bowmen in my Work in Progress post they have been scarce mentioned since. However today is the day, because following another (un-chronicled) battle using Aiden’s lovely Lancastrians and Yorkists I have found the motivation, stirred myself, and painted a whole 37 models! I then added to this total by building and spray painting my breach loading artillery piece and crew, and 12 mounted men-at-arms.
This work has left me with 2 units of bowmen, 1 of billmen, and a commander on foot to lead them – all units being 12 strong for foot, and 6 strong for horse. The painted models have had the army painter Dip used on them, hence why they don’t look too bad and I’ve actually managed to finish them, although I cannot take credit for the commander apart from his base because it’s a model Aidan donated to me, and he came already painted to a better standard than I could aim for. One fly in the ointmen - I managed to knock the quite flimsy flag pole off the billmen while 'Dipping' them. I'm not sure whether to try reattaching a sturdier one, or to leave them bereft of flag.
On the production line are now the 12 horse and artillery piece and crew, and if I get through those a further boxed set of 3 units of foot (the 2 bowmen and 1 billmen arrangement again) awaits construction. I’ve also to solidify my commanding officers and their mens background, with a man named William Herbert the prime choice and the men destined to support the Yorkist cause.
Pictures came out terribly on reflection, the models actually look better than that. Damn.