Normally I don’t go back to a model after its finished, unless something happens to it like chipping or breakage etc. But in the case of my Welsh for Saga I just wasn’t happy with their bases, and the feeling gradually grew. I originally gave them a medium brown base with a lighter drybrush, and added some flowers and rocks with some odd idea that they liked raiding and would probably be up a mountain somewhere.
In hindsight the flowers looked lonely, and the whole model was affected by the bases’ blandness and lack of colour, so having flocked a few different models with a nice bright green recently I decided to do the same to the Welsh. Overall I’m liking it, although the pictures are shocking so its not obvious. It’s also nice to do a few pictures of the whole 6 point lot, because I haven’t since I added the 8 warriors on horseback (Wargames Factory Ancient Germanic figures, and they suit it!) and 4 more hearthguard. I do have a box of gripping beast generic un-armoured dark age warriors in the garage, and 4 more horsemen, but neither have made it as far as being added since they were purchased back in May 2013.
Finally I have also been frustrated with the way the metal spears/javelins bend so easily, so I’ve tried replacing it with a proper steel rod one from Front Rank. Its gone ok, no pictures yet.
|The levy and warriors trying to demonstrate the difference between grass and no grass.|
|Ditto, but more obvious.|
|The whole lot in formation - 2 points of warriors on foot, 1 of warriors on horse, 2 of hearthguard, 1 of levy, and one warlord.|
|Germanic horsemen turned welsh - pleased with that piece of work.|